The Origin of falooda is go back to Persia, where a similar kind of dessert called faloodeh. The dessert came to India by many Muslim merchants and dynasties that settled in India and made it home. In olden days the falooda serves only to noble Muslim families in India. Now falooda was enjoying by every one. Mughal was developed the present form of falooda. Hyderabad Deccan was very famous for this falooda.
Falooda is very delicious dessert that is flavored with Rose syrup. Main ingredients are sabja seeds (aka basil seeds), vermicelli aka falooda sev, sweetened milk, rose syrup and ice cream.
- Basil seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Milk – 1½ cups
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Falooda Sev – handful
- Rose Syrup – 2 tablespoons
- Ice cream – 2 scoops
- Pistachios – few, chopped for garnishing
- Rose petals – few, for garnishing (optional)
Our first task is to make falooda sev at home. Falooda sev is made from corn flour, water and sugar. If you are familiar to falooda then you know what falooda sev is. But for those who does not know, raw falooda sev from store bought packet on left while cooked and drained falooda sev on right. you can see sev is yellow in color.
Process of making falooda sev :-
- Ice cubes – 1/2 bowl
- Oil – greasing for Sev maker
- Water – 1 1/4 cups of water
- Sugar – 2 1/2 Table spoon
- Corn flour – 1/2 cup
- Pre – heat the non stick pan, take corn flour in blow add sugar and slowly add the water mix it well until smooth paste.
- Add corn flour paste to pre – heated non stick pan cook in low heat until it became thick paste and all the mousier has to be evaporated. Mean wile take a sev maker grease it.
- when corn flour paste ready immanently fill the paste in sev maker (use very small hole), and press the the paste through sev maker in to ice cubes bowl. refrigerate the bowl for 30 mints.
- Now falooda sev is redy to use, it is in white color, if you whant any other colors please add at last minute of cooking
Other interesting and key ingredient is falooda seeds aka sabja seeds (basil seeds, tukmaria). You need to soak them for at least 30 minutes. More soaking time does not hurt. Even you can keep store soaked sabja seeds up to a day in refrigerator. After 30 minutes it swells up in water and creates gel like layer around it or you want Instantly soak in warm water.
The beautiful pink color of falooda is comes from rose syrup (another key ingredient). Rose syrup is easily available in Indian and in USA, you will find in Indian grocery store. Instead of rose syrup, you can use rooh afza as well. It will still taste good.
Last key ingredient is sweetened milk. We are boiling the milk and sugar for some time. So it will thicken slightly and sugar will get melted. After the boiling, this needs to be chilled in the refrigerator. You need to plan some elements like soaking sabja seeds and boiling-chillied milk ahead of time while making falooda. But all the effort is worth when you enjoy a glass of falooda, after all this efforts for making homemade falooda is also economical.
We can also add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top just like we get at falooda stalls. Hence you can call it falooda with ice cream. If you want to make it light then you can skip the addition of ice cream. Lastly, it is garnished with chopped pistachios and organic chopped rose petals. It is optional though.
Making falooda :
- Take a long glass (Pilsner glass) & add Rose syrup.
- Add chilled falooda sev
- Now add chilled sweeten milk in it
- Now add soaked sabja seeds (Basil seeds)
- Finally add two scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Now time to garnish add some chopped roasted nuts and rose petals.
Falooda comes in between category of beverage and dessert. But most of us prefer to call it as a dessert. This is little heavy if you consider it as a beverage. And most important that you have to eat 80% falooda with spoon.
This should served immediately after prepared. But you can prepare different elements (like soaking basil seeds, boiling milk, cooking sev) ahead of time. Keep it refrigerated and assemble right before serving. Homemade Falooda recipe is easy to make and cheaper too. It is rose flavored dessert cum beverage recipe. so enjoy this with your family.